Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The First of What I'm Sure Will Be A Sparse Handful of Fall/Winter Entries

Here's the thing about central Texas:  you may have heard the joke, "We have two seasons: hot, and rain," or something similar.  Every place has a saying like that, and everyone thinks their weather is nutty.  We DO have a very long Summer here, though - it tends to be in the 100s for three months out of the year, above 90 for more like 9 months, and the remaining three it's either clammy and wet, or freezing and wet.  (To us.  I understand people in "the north" can deal with temperatures well below 30º, but we can't!)

Anyhow, once the crushing heat of the Summer is over, my fall gardening schedule is all about cleanup, maintenance, and hardscape changes.  This year, once again, we went from 9,000º outside to 60s and raining.

"On Ferenginar we have 178 words for rain.
Right now it's glemmening"


So, not much is going on in the yard right now, unless you count my three dogs pooping on the patio because they can't bear to be farther out in the rain than a foot away from the porch.  (I guess I should be grateful that no one's pooped on the porch;  as it is someone peed in my sewing room last night because he didn't want to go outside! Little bastard).

As soon as it lets up a tad, probably tomorrow evening, I have some things to do.  Wash the mud off the porch.  Pull some of the wild Hemlock out of the backyard by hand, while the soil is still soft enough to get the roots out (I mow them, but they just spread, and it bothers the dogs' feet!)  I need to divide all the Irises and Amaryllis in the front yard (which is doing really well right now!) but the soil's too wet right now for that.  I don't want them rotting.

I recently moved my homemade pot-rack from the kitchen out to the back porch.  I put some stuff on/under it without any thought, just to get it all out of the way in a hurry.  Soon as it stops raining I'd like to dress it up some, put some nice plants on it, stuff like that.

Also visible: overgrown weeds, stack of small
fencing panels, tools.  This was on a work day.   

Top shelf: 

  • An ailing Peace Lily I'm pretty sure isn't going to make it. 
  • A One-Leafed Colocasia (where the f&%* are the rest of the leaves? I know these things can grow more than one at a time!) 
  • A Rex Begonia I picked up on clearance somewhere recently
Second shelf:
  • Gloves
  • Empty wall urn that used to hang on this wall

Underneath: 
  • A new "mystery plant" in a pot, and two lamp jars that I put out here to strip and re-paint but never did.  






The aforementioned Begonia.  
Purty. 

It's still in its 4" plastic nursery pot, tucked into a violet pot as a cachepot.  MAN I love violet pots!  They're so useful, and so pretty!  This is my favorite one. 









This is the "mystery plant" I mentioned.  I rescued it from the empty house next door to me - the former tenants left it behind, I'm guessing they thought it was dead, but it came back when the rains began.  

I agonized over what kind of orchid it was for like two days before I realized it's just a lily, LOL.  Yay!  I wonder what it looks like when it blooms! 








It hasn't got any ancillary bulbets; but both stalks (only one is visible in the picture above) have several stem bulblets at the base, and probably more under the soil.  I can't wait to get in there and divide them up!  

These bulblets might not produce stalks and flowers for 2-3 years; but the parent bulbs should, provided they're not rotten in there. 









Last, but not least:  the backyard just to the left of that shot of the shelf on the porch, in all it's, erm, "fall splendor."  

The Esperanza (yellow) and Mexican Orchid (white) are still in full bloom, and will be until the first frost.  

The Mulberry tree's roots have spread out enough that they're soaking up all the water that used to feed the grass beneath it, so it's looking pretty bare under there. I need to find a groundcover that will thrive in the dry soil and shade, if there is such a thing.  

Since this photo I've begun work removing stones from the ex-patio and moving them elsewhere in the yard to shore up dirt to prevent erosion and help grass take hold; part of the first couple of sessions of rock-digging and -moving was to level the depression next to the Mexican Orchid and re-pave around it.  


More to come...if it ever stops raining.  

Man.  In 2007, it started raining in October, and didn't stop until the following August.  I had Cosmos flowers that were ten feet high, I shit you not.  It was awesome. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment