Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's Time For Another Round of What's! That! Plant!

No, seriously, what the hell is this?



Here it is on my desk at work, planted in some plastic cups.   I liberated it from the landscaping.

NO, I didn't STEAL it from the landscaping - it was a "volunteer" plant, not supposed to be there, not a single other one on the building grounds.  It would have been cut down by the landscapers, if they ever bother to show up again.














Soft, floppy leaves with serrated edges.  Medium, regular, plain-ol' green.  No fuzz or hairs or spikes or anything.





















Nothing interesting on the undersides, either.





















Pairs of opposite leaves;  the pairs alternating from each other.  I don't know what that's called.

There's some axillary budding here - it looks like they're going to be more leaves?  But I can't tell yet.

Also the stems are a bit...not really fuzzy...they look almost as if they've been dipped in very fine sugar.  But it doesn't look like something that's happened to the plant, it looks natural to it.












There are new branches/leaves sprouting opposite each other, from the "trunk" of the plant;  as well as bark forming on the lower/oldest portions of the trunk and branches.


At first I thought this was a Hydrangea, but I'm confident it's not.  When I looked into trees, I thought maybe a Texas Ash...but it's not.

What IS this?










.





No comments:

Post a Comment