Monday, September 16, 2013

No Groundhogs In Texas

People up north have Punxatawney Phil, that odd-looking round beast who pokes his head up in February to see if it's still too cold to go outside, or if the sun is finally out.

'Round these parts we hide on our screened porches and our fan-cooled solars, sipping iced tea, and long about this part of the year, one of us walks out to the yard for a sec, to see if it's still 105ยบ goldurned degrees out.


Okay, so, maybe it's not quite that romanticized.  In fact, August is basically "Fuck Texas Month," at least for everyone I know.  You can forget trying to get anything done in the yard, for damn sure.  But now that it's September, and temperatures are finally only in the upper nineties, life resumes:

The front garden lives! Yay!  -1 lavender



Look, I got plants for the baskets on the front porch, finally!!   (variegated Lilyturf
(Liriope), and some Vincas to trail downwards; both on clearance for $1/plant) 
Love!  I hope I remember to water them this time.  I'm
horrible with these baskets. 

Experiment: two tall silver florist's buckets as cachepots - love it, but not
HERE.  I ended up moving them in front of the garage, at opposite sides.
The Sansivierras came from a $5, 3-gallon "plant" which actually held like
seven or eight individual plants.  So I split them up into these two buckets,
a pot on the front porch, and a pot for the house.  
One of the other Sans, along with my Jade Plant,
and an extra Lilyturf that I forgot to plant. 

Over the weekend I also mowed the grass, trimmed back a huge rosemary bush, and trimmed up all of my trees to get rid of suckers and low-hanging branches, including the oak in the front yard.  Pics of that, and stuff in the backyard, later this week.  :)


.

No comments:

Post a Comment